Thanks to all who came out for auditions this year – both those who had played with us before, and those new to the LSO.
Auditions were competitive on every instrument, and you can find the full roster of musicians on this page.
Please note that string seating is mixed and not in order of audition performance, and that woodwind/brass seating will rotate on some pieces.
Information for all members:
- This Sunday and every Sunday, we will tune at 7 p.m. sharp, so please arrive in the hall at 6:45 p.m. to help set up and warm up.
- We will provide folders with music and LSO member handbooks.
- We will run through each piece on the program.
- Please bring $50 in cash or check paid to U-M Life Sciences Orchestra. This is your member dues; you are welcome to give additional amounts as a gift to fund the orchestra further, and you will receive a tax receipt for the gift amount.
- The rehearsal schedule is here; please mark your calendar now for each one.
- This Sunday, the LSO Committee will bring snacks for everyone to have at the break. Starting next week, we will begin asking members of different sections to bring snacks.
First violins: It will be your turn on Oct. 11!
- Please note that some woodwind and brass players will rotate into different chairs for each piece.
- Wind players: please help cover parts for absent section-mates whenever possible. You’ll receive copies of all the parts for all the pieces for your instrument.
- If you already know you will have to miss or be more than 15 minutes late to an upcoming rehearsal: please email email@example.com this week to let us know so we can plan accordingly.
- Please also email firstname.lastname@example.org about any last-minute absences or notices that you will be late for rehearsal.
- You and your family/significant other are invited to a Season Kickoff Potluck Picnic this Saturday from 5-7 p.m. at Gallup Park.
- This is a rain-or-shine event: We have reserved the indoor Meeting Room in the building next to the canoe rental location. Here’s a map: http://umhealth.me/galluplso
- The LSO will provide pizza and party supplies. Bring a dish or drink to share; no alcohol please.
- Canoe rental is open until 7 p.m.
For those who missed the kickoff meeting for the LSO’s 2015-2016 season, here are the high points of the presentation:
- Once again, we’re asking each person who is accepted into the orchestra to make a $50 member contribution, payable by cash/check to U-M Life Sciences Orchestra at a rehearsal in September or October (or, $25/semester)
- If you can pay more, we’ll give a gift receipt for amount above $50!
- We will play two free concerts this year, at Hill Auditorium on January 24 and April 24
- We’ll keep adding updates to this website and our Facebook page (www.Facebook.com/umlso)
- If you have questions or need anything, contact the committee and music director at email@example.com
- We went over Key Dates for this season:
- Auditions: Evenings, Sept. 21 & 24 and 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 27
- Roster distributed: Sept. 30
- Audition location: See map
- Moore Bldg.
- School of Music, North Campus
- Free parking evenings and weekends
- Bus service – Pierpont
- How to sign up for an audition:
- Go to my mysignup.com/lso15
- Read the directions
- Scroll down. Pick a time by selecting My Audition to the right of the time you want, in the column for the day you want – you are choosing a seven-minute slot and we will call you as close to your appointed time as possible.
- Fill out the required info. Please include a cell phone in case we need to reach you on the day/evening of your audition.
- Download your audition excerpt from the LSO website and practice the part between the two brackets ONLY! Also prepare a short piece of your own choosing.
- Don’t forget to write down the day and time you choose, and bring TWO copies of your chosen piece to the audition! (one for you, one for Roberto)
- If you’re there & there are open slots before yours, you may be able to go early.
- If you decide not to audition, or you need to reschedule at the last minute, please email firstname.lastname@example.org AND change your listing on the schedule.
- Member picnic: Oct. 3, Gallup Park Meeting Room/Patio, 5-7 p.m.
Pizza & potluck sides/desserts/drinks
- First rehearsal: Oct. 4, 7-9:30 pm
- Rehearsals almost every Sunday
- Winter 2015 Concert: Sunday, Jan. 24, 2013, 4 p.m., Hill Auditorium,
- Dress rehearsal: Jan. 23, afternoon
- Spring 2015 concert:
- Sunday, April 24, 4 p.m. Dress rehearsal: April 23, afternoon
Assistant Conductor: Jacobsen (Jake) Woollen
And what everyone has been waiting for:
WHAT ARE WE PLAYING FOR THE CONCERT?
January 24 –
- Beethoven – Coriolan Overture
- Grieg – Peer Gynt Suite No. 1
- Sibelius – Symphony No. 2
April 24 –
- Poulenc: Organ Concerto in G minor, with Naki Kripfgans, 2014 Concerto Competition co-winner
- Other works TBD
Due to scheduling issues, LSO auditions will NOT be held on Tuesday, Sept. 22 as previously announced. We will extend the hours for auditions on Monday, Sept. 21 and Thursday, Sept. 24 to accommodate all those who would have auditioned on Tuesday.
To signup for your audition, visit mysignup.com/lso15 any time after 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 16 and follow the instructions on the site.
If your plans change, or you absolutely can’t audition on one of the available days, please email email@example.com.
Also – if you haven’t yet been to the School of Music’s E.V. Moore building, where our auditions are held, it has just undergone an incredible renovation. Read this article in the University Record to learn more and see photos.
Roberto Kalb, LSO Music Director
The LSO is thrilled to announce the appointment of our new music director, Roberto Kalb, to lead the orchestra for our 2015-2016 season. He’s the LSO’s ninth musical leader, and the second conductor to hold the title of Gilbert S. Omenn, M.D. Music Director.
Roberto continues our longstanding tradition of leadership by students of the famed U-M orchestral conducting program in the School of Music, Theatre & Dance.
Roberto already holds a Master’s Degree in Composition from U-M, and is simultaneously pursuing Doctoral degrees in Composition at the New England Conservatory of Music and Conducting at the University of Michigan.
Read more about Roberto in the full biography available here.
He will introduce himself to prospective members at the Virtual Season Kickoff Meeting on Sept. 16 at 7 p.m. Participate via any computer at https://connect.umms.med.umich.edu/lso15/. (enter the meeting as a guest) You can also download the Adobe Connect app for mobile devices and enter the meeting wherever you are.
Roberto and the LSO Committee will hold auditions in late September. Audition excerpts for each instrument are now available on this page, along with the dates and times for auditions and a full description of audition requirements.
If you are interested in joining Roberto and the LSO for this season, and you have not played with us before, please see this page to get started.