The LSO draws its musicians from the University of Michigan Life Sciences community. Members enjoy the opportunity to interact with colleagues from many different units of the life sciences campus while pursuing musical excellence.
All LSO members are expected to audition. Typically, we are able to take all string players, whereas positions for wind players are competitive.
If you are interested in joining the LSO, complete the online questionnaire for prospective musicians – your information will be entered into the LSO database, allowing us to inform you of opportunities to audition or join.
LSO Financial Needs
The annual LSO membership fee is $75 for faculty, staff, alumni and family members of life sciences faculty/staff, and $50 for students, due at the beginning of the season.
Please pay via credit or debit card on the U-M online system using the instructions in this PDF: LSO Payment Instructions
The steps are:
- Go to ssc.umich.edu and click Payments
- Choose Pay by Credit Card and then Pay Now
- Click the green “Go to Secure Payment Provider to Pay My Bill” button, which opens a new window
- Enter $75 in the Amount box if you are not a student, or $50 if you are a student. Complete the Security Code requirement by retyping the letters/numbers shown. Click Continue
- On the next page, enter LSOMember in the Invoice box, and put your name (or the name of the orchestra member you’re paying for) in the Description box
- Type in the credit card number, expiration date, the the cardholder’s name, email address and phone number, and click Pay Now
NOTE: Payments above the stated dues are welcome – but any amount in excess of dues amounts should be given separately, via our online donation system.
In addition, other tax-deductible contributions may be made online anytime during the season. The LSO is entirely self-supported and welcomes contributions in any amount. The annual cost of presenting two free concerts a year at Hill Auditorium is approximately $20,000.
The 2019-2020 LSO handbook is available here. Rehearsal information is always most current on the website.
LSO Attendance Policy
The LSO realizes that members of the life sciences community are extremely busy; however, accepting a position in the LSO also means accepting a responsibility to your fellow musicians to learn your music, attend rehearsals, and attend concerts. See the full schedule here.
If you are worried about potential conflicts with LSO rehearsals and concerts, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before auditioning. Regular unexcused absences will result in dismissal from the orchestra.
If you are interested in finding other ensembles at U-M or in the Ann Arbor area, click here to get a list of amateur ensembles.
Email the executive committee at email@example.com.